Now that summer is ending, it’s time to turn your attention to fall home maintenance for your Sugar Land area home. With a little know-how and effort, you can get your energy bills under control and improve the look and comfort of your home. Simply follow these helpful tips:
- Schedule a tune-up – Getting an annual tune-up of your furnace will ensure that it’s operating at its maximum energy efficiency. Now is the best time to hire a professional HVAC technician to do the job. Not only will you beat the mad rush once winter starts closing in, you can deal with any mechanical issues long before you feel the squeeze of cold weather. If you use a heat pump for heating, now’s a good time for semi-annual maintenance.
- Don’t forget other heating sources – If you use a fireplace or even a space heater, make sure they’re in good working order. You’d be amazed at how many people get their space heater out of storage only to find that it has inexplicably stopped working.
- Clean your fireplace – Now is a great time to clean out your fireplace flue to make sure that you’re prepared for the colder weather that’s right around the corner.
- Check the crawlspace below your home – Since this probably hasn’t been checked for a while, you might be surprised at what you find. You may have standing water, where mold has been accumulating, which can cause a health hazard. And you might even find vermin and insect nests down there.
- Time for caulking and weatherstripping – Air leaks around your home can cause a huge waste of energy. By adding caulk or weatherstripping around your doors and windows, you’ll keep your conditioned air inside.
- Remove dust – Removing dust from areas where it accumulates – such as cold-air returns, baseboard heaters, ceiling and floor fans, and the dryer vent – will help keep your air clean. This is especially helpful for people suffering from allergies and asthma.
For more expert advice on fall home maintenance or any other questions concerning home comfort, contact the professionals at Conditioned Air Mechanical HVAC Services. We’ve been serving the needs of Sugar Land, River Oaks, Bellaire and the surrounding area since 1956.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com