Air conditioning is a part of life in the heart of Texas. With the blazing summer days right here, you may be dreading the increase to your energy bills as the air conditioner has to work overtime. The good news is that, even if your existing A/C is 10 or more years old, there are ways you can use it more efficiently, which will help keep your energy bills down.
Use Your A/C Efficiently
Here are some ways you can optimize air conditioner efficiency and lower your energy bills:
- Use ceiling fans to move the air around. Ceiling fans do not cool the room. However, they make the occupants of the room feel cooler than the air temperature actually is. This makes it possible to raise the A/C thermostat up without everyone feeling too warm.
- Clean or replace air filters regularly. An air conditioner cannot run efficiently with a clogged filter and it will drive up your cooling costs significantly. Checking the filter at least once a month will simultaneously help your indoor air quality.
- Have a professional inspection once a year. When your A/C has to work hard over a long hot Texas summer, it’s doing a lot of work. Bring in an HVAC professional annually to make sure the system is in good working order and has enough refrigerant. This makes the system run as efficiently as possible.
- Install a programmable thermostat. When you are gone for the day, the thermostat can set the temperature up and keep the A/C from running as much. Just before you are scheduled to get home, the thermostat will start bringing the temperature down. This helps keep your energy costs low while keeping your home comfortable.
- Keep windows and doors closed when running the A/C. The more warm outdoor air that enters the house, the more the air conditioner has to work to keep the home comfortable.
If you want to learn more ways to optimize air conditioner efficiency, contact us here at Conditioned Air TX. We are your home comfort experts.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com